What is a UTC?
University Technical Colleges are an inspiring concept in education. They offer 14-19 year olds the opportunity to study at specialist centres of excellence, equipped to the highest standards and sponsored by universities and local, regional and multinational employers – offering clear progression routes into University, high statistical apprenticeships and meaningful employment.
One of the great advantages of University Technical Colleges is that they have the resources to provide outstanding and extended learning opportunities throughout the year. Students at the UTC are offered a greater range of opportunities for extended, in-depth learning and self-study; they are also able to engage with employers in engineering challenges such as Young Inventors, Engineering-Girl contests, Formula 1 in Schools and the Land Rover 4×4 Challenge.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_column_text]
Why study at Wigan UTC?
If your heart is set on a career in business, engineering, food, care or logistics, we can offer you an exciting learning experience to help you achieve your dreams.
If you’ve not quite made up your mind but just have a general interest in these broad areas, we can help you explore different options and find the right route for you.
Plus, our guarantee of a university place, an apprenticeship or a job when you successfully complete your programme means you can be confident in your future.
What if I change my mind?
No problem! The most important thing is YOU and what YOU want. If you come to us at Year 10 and by the Sixth Form have decided you would rather study drama or become a linguist, we will help you every step of the way to achieve your aspirations.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”351″ img_size=”large”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_column_text]
Key facts about Wigan UTC
- One of 16 opened nationally in September 2013 and supported by leading companies in the UK.
- Academic excellence at A-level & GCSE blended with pioneering employer engagement.
- Achieving technical excellence and recognising it through industry standard qualifications.
- UTC learners will be associate members of the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan).
UTC learners will have access to UCLan’s world class resources, facilities and lecturers.
- Offering an education different to school or college in business, employer led environments.
- Curriculum enrichment will reflect the real skills employers need.
- Outstanding work experience opportunities supported by mentors from industry.